...thanksgiving.....


With it being Thanksgiving and all I wanted to share a few of the things I am thankful for....
  • My missional family.  Being a part of a wonderful community that encourages each other, laughs with (and at) each other,  cries together and loves others together.  It is beautiful.  The friends that have become family since I have moved to KCK are priceless, they support me in so many ways.  Being on mission and in community is unique and so incredibly wonderful. 
  • My kids.   Wait a second I have kids?  Yes, about 40 of them depending on the day, and if you count some of my teenagers that number jumps to about 60.  Being in the lives of my Kids' Club kids is great.  It has its goods, bads and uglies.  Some of my favorite things have included:
    • Washing headlice, I know...really?  Yes, there is something really personal about picking lice out of someone hair.  It gives me a chance to serve families in a tangible way.  I might also say I feel blessed in that I haven't gotten it yet, even though there have been some false alarms.  
    • Getting phone calls from kids, they could need help with homework, a ride somewhere, have a question or just be tired (bored) and be looking for something to do or someone to hangout with.  I love that they feel that they can call me and count on me if they need something. 
    • Laughing together.  According to one of my kids I laugh like a chipmunk and her friends, and little sister have taken to calling me chipmunk laugh as of recently.  Laughing together is beautiful and shows how much fun we get to have together.
    • Deep conversations.  Kids ask the best questions, they challenge your faith and keep you on your toes.  No amount of study or classes could have ever prepared me to answer some of the zingers these kids can come up with.  The Spirit though, is really good at providing words.  \
    • Watching them grow.  It is hard to believe that it has been 2 years since we started walking with some of these kids.  They are growing up so incredibly fast.  I pray continually that as they grow they continue to be lights in  their schools and families. 
  • My family.  They are pretty cool.  I mean they let me without much question move to a fairly rough neighborhood, and have found many ways to support me. 
  • The chance to grow.  I can not begin to put in to words the ways that the Lord has worked in my life over the past year.  He has shown me his faithfulness in so many ways.  He has demonstrated His abundant provision in providing supporters to fun the ministry to the kids, when my faith was small and slow.  He has shown me that letting others in on your struggles isn't a sign of weakness, but a chance to grow.  He has shown me a better way to live life, with me being open to His leading, and honest with myself about what He is calling me to.  
I hope that you have a blessed Thanksgiving!

1 comment

Totschies said...

I love this, Kristen, thankful for you!