what I did this weekend...

If you don't know I have a sister who has Cerebral Palsy and has been wheelchair bound her whole life.  Mentally she is fine, her body just can't do what she would want it to do.  Due to this the state of Kansas pays for a care provider to hang out with her and take her to classes and such.  When I quit my job last spring to start raising funds to come on staff with Mission Adelante I also began to take care of Tiffany to help make ends meet.  This past spring she took a class at JCCC called Sociology of Food.  It was funny because when she signed up for the class she thought it would be about different cultures and their food habits.  It turned out to be about food sources and how peoples eating habits changed over the course of history.  Because I am Tiffany's care provider I go to all of her classes with her.  Towards the end of the class the professor started talking about CSAs, organic farming and other food source options.  I became really interested in alternative food sources in the urban core, so I was really excited when this rolled around....
This weekend Cultivate Kansas City hosted the Urban Farms and Garden tour.  This tour happens every other year and this year it featured 38 farms and gardens around Kansas City.  I didn't go to that many but I did have the chance to check out 6 of them. One of my favorites was the New Roots for Refugees Garden.  We have one family who is in their first year of this four year program. Check out what they are doing: 
This is also a really good story about what they are doing:


I think my favorite part of the New Roots program is where they are located. 

I also got some great ideas for next spring when I will hopefully have time/ space to start my own (much smaller) vegetable garden.  

No comments