safe

Six years ago I wrote about fear. You can read it here: Fear

More than fear, I think it was about personal safety.  Was putting my suburban self in a rougher urban context, and people wondering if it was safe.  I was a 28-year-old version of myself, living in a house with some other single girls, trying to love Jesus and my neighbors. 28 year-old me had a love of the idea that following Jesus wouldn't always be safe, but it would be good.

Somewhere in the past 6 years, I bought this print from an artist on Etsy.  (You too can buy it here: Lion Art, CS Lewis).

It says:  "Is he safe?" "Safe, 'course he isn't safe, but he's good.  He's the king, I tell you."

In the past few months, I have realized that so much of me loves safety.  I don't necessarily crave physical safety.  I've lived in rough areas, taught in areas that were even rougher. Talked with my mom about what I wanted a funeral to look like if for some reason I was a victim of a random act of violence. I could get over fear for my physical safety really easily. 

I crave the feeling of safety I get from being in control or at least the perceived safety. 

If you know the Enneagram at all, I am a 1.  Ones are perfectionists.  Ones don't like failure, and this 1 won't take a risk if there is a chance of failure. Ones don't like mistakes, and failure is a mistake.  This past year has felt like it has been filled with failures.  Things that I thought I would be successful in, that didn't work out how I had planned.  Lots and lots of failure.  Many incidents where I have shown my imperfection and had to come to terms with the reality that I can not control all things, and I can't be the best at everything.

As a result, I've become risk-shy.  Almost paralyzingly so.  Not putting myself in any situations where there might be even a chance of failure.  With my job, with my family, in my personal life.  And honestly, it's left me feeling like I am going through life half asleep.  Kind of numb to the highs and the lows that come with being human. I've developed habits of reading or living in my head in a way that has left me disconnected from who I am and what I know to be true about myself. 

In the past week or so, I have realized that I can't keep living life this way.  A quiet life, where everyone is happy, and I can't fail might be good for a while.  But, there are only so many books I can read to distract myself from my disobedience.  My flat out ignoring who the Lord has made me to be.  

I was reminded of Isaiah 41:10: 

"Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

I was reminded that it is OK for me to take risks, and if I fail, when I fail, cause no one is perfect, the Lord has it.  That even though the failure hurts, if I am completely honest, wounds my pride.  (Any other 1s struggle with pride too?) That the Lord will hold me up, because the reality is, in my failure, He is still God.






No comments