Pancake Monday

A few weeks ago a few of my little friends went to dinner with my parents and I on a Tuesday night.  There is a Mexican restaurant about 5 blocks from Mission Adelante that has $1 tacos, and $1.50 papusas on Tuesday nights.  While we were there my friend asked what a papusa was and my mom compared it to a pancake, except it is made from corn and stuffed with cheese, chicken or beans.  My friends then went on and on about their hatred of pancakes.  We found out that the only time they ever had pancakes was at school (no wonder they hated them).  So my dad, being the pancake connoisseur that he is said we had to have them over to try real pancakes.  Yesterday we did, and I am pretty sure it was a success. 


My nephews came over and had pancakes too, I think they made some new friends.


Afterwards we went to a park not far from my parents house to let off some steam.



I also had a realization yesterday.  I was quite the spoiled teenager.  My parents have lived in the same ranch style, 3 bedroom house since I was in 1st grade.  I can't count the number of times I felt embarrassed of where my house was, or how small it was.  I realized yesterday that I was a brat.  When my friends came to have breakfast at my parent's house their response was "wow, your house is huge."  Talk about humbling.  Did I ever need a bigger house?  No, our house was a good size for us.  We didn't have our own bedrooms, and that is ok.  I was caught up in a crazy game of "Keeping up with the Joneses."  One of the biggest lessons that I have learned living in KCK and being in community with the Bhutanese is that all these things are just that, things.  Happiness is better found in relationships than in bigger houses

I am reminded of Jesus' teachings in Luke 12.  The parable of the rich farmer who wanted to tear down his barns to build bigger ones to store his wealth.  Yet he was found to be foolish because he didn't have a rich relationship with God.  The verses following are some of my favorite, and I challenge you to think about them this week:


"Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing.  Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds!  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?  And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things? Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things.  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs.  Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need." ~Luke 12:22-31

No comments